Sunday, May 15, 2016

9-15 May 2016

We took a two day trip to Takoradi, on the coast, and this is the Marriott Hotel we stayed in, thanks to the Brubakers points.  It was a very relaxing two days, a lot of pool time, eating out at good restaurants, and reading.  It was marred only by the fact that it took 5 harrowing hours to drive each way on bad roads, terrible traffic, and very scary driving in the dark some of the way.  

Nice pool.

A view of the beach outside our third floor hotel window.  It's funny how this nice hotel was on a very bad dirt road, full of pot holes.  Very typical.

Relaxation time before we had to head back to
greet 85 new missionaries upon our return.

Pres Brubaker and a very nice Dutch owner of a coffee shop we really liked.

We did a little shopping in a little craft market.

He's the shop owner who carved the elephants below. Do I look little hot?  I was dripping, as usual.  We don't last too long in outdoor markets.

$10 for this set of hand carved elephants.

Sis Brubaker holding a wooden chicken she bought.  I got some cool earrings here, too.

As we were driving home, we passed this van known
as a Tro-tro. It's loaded with probably 20 -25 people.
You can't see a small baby with it's mother directly
across from us.  I took the picture because they were
just living it up singing African songs.  We laughed
and waved and they waved back.

Takie, one of the taechers, came and got me
yesterday and said, "Come and see the alligator
in the flower beds".  I took a picture of this
critter about 6 inches long.  Takie said they can
grow to about 5 feet long.  We don't have any
that long in our flower beds.

These are two young men who
have been marked as children
with tribal markings.  I don't
know the significance, but it's
an indication of how close we are
to the old traditions.


I just had this blouse made to match the skirt I already had.  The Africans loved it!  They've dubbed me "Mother Africa", but today they called me "Sister Abena Ghana," since I was born on a Tuesday.  They give you a special name depending on the day of the week you were born.  Loel said, "I dare you to wear that outfit to church at home."  

1 comment:

  1. wouldn't you wear that outfit at home? I think you should! What a cool fancy hotel!!! I just don't know what you're going to do with all your beads, wooden elephants and chickens, tablecloths, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete