Sunday, June 5, 2016

30 May-5 June 2016

We had a free day this week and invited
Isaac, the husband of one of our teachers,
to give us a tour of Tema.  He's in school
for advanced training as a navigator on a
large cargo ship and has free time during
the day while his wife Sara, works.  Don't you
love his African clothes?

We drove around Tema and saw places we have
never seen (and may never see again). Tema is an
industrial port town and really not very pretty.
There wasn't much here until the port was built,
so it never has been a real destination spot.  He
explained about good and bad parts of town,
pointed out a good restaurant, explained the
colors of the school kids' uniforms, etc.  

We have to take pictures of signs we wouldn't
typically see at home.

Isaac took us to the Maritime Academy where
he is a student. If you saw the movie "Captain
Phillips", you might recognize the life boats in the
distance.

Paula and Silassi "hard at work" shopping for
fabric in the Tema market.  We've often feel like
the only white people in the market.  Silassi told us
 it's true.  Most Obruni (whites) send their hired
staff to shop for them.

We were going into Accra one day so I invited this new office couple of the Accra Mission to go to lunch with us.  They are the Munros from Australia.  We had a really nice time getting to know them.  I had the best salad I've ever had here, at this restaurant called "Lord of the Wings."  I hear their wings are really good but I couldn't bring myself to order more chicken.

Elder Dogbey is an amazing young man and another
 of our favorites.  I will not be surprised to read of
him as a leader in the Church in Africa.


 Elder Sakala became one of my favorite elders.  The day he left he received  a  brochure of healthy living tips that's given to the departing missionaries with this picture on the cover.  The picture was done by a group out of American Fork called "Mothers Without Borders". Elder Sakala saw the picture and told Sister Brubaker he is the boy in the lower right.  The picture was taken when he was about 10 years old.
This is a pretty special elder from Sierra Leone who has lost both of his parents and bore a powerful testimony about coming on a mission, even though he was the main support for his 3 sisters.  He was counseled to go and that the Lord would take care of his family.  Later he was in our office, doing his family history stuff which Loel entered so now he can do the work and be sealed to them.  He was so happy.  This week he will first take out his own endowments and then next week, do the work for his parents and be sealed to them.

I went to Testimony meeting in the chapel next door to the MTC just to experience a regular African family ward.  Patrick, the MTC manager, is the Bishop there and he was so happy to see me walk in.  I sat by his wife, Elizabeth, and little boy.  Turns out that all these people (our kitchen staff) showed up since an old kitchen staff worker was blessing her baby.  So I had lots of friends in church.  I was the only white person in the chapel.  The counselor conducting said how they were grateful to have Sister Tibbitts visiting from the MTC.
Towards the end of the meeting, Elizabeth, turns to me and says, "Are you going to share your testimony? Bishop would be so happy if you did."  So I did.  It felt really good as we don't have many opportunities to do so in the MTC as we don't give talks or teach (well, Loel teaches priesthood).  I talked about how many of my best friends were in the congregation and how much I loved them and the African culture.  Many people thanked me afterwards.
I then returned to our MTC testimony meeting and it was wonderful, too.  The spirit was so strong - we feel like this group of missionaries is pretty special.  There are only 75 of them, which is more manageable than 100, and most speak English.
Yesterday I asked an elder who hadn't been feeling really well if he wanted to see Dr. Anderson while he was here and he said yes.  He's weak, little fever, no appetite.  Dr. Anderson said it's probably a virus but if he's not better in a couple of days, test him for malaria.  He was back that night not looking well, so Loel helped me give him the test.  First time we've ever had a positive response.  We immediately got him on the 3 day malaria pills - 8 pills a day, and he had kind of a rough night, but this morning, he was bearing his testimony about the power of the priesthood blessing he received and how he was feeling stronger.  I could hardly believe it as he was not well last night.  I talked to him after and told him it was a miracle and he agreed.  We just saw him at dinner and he was eating again and feeling good. These missionaries have so much faith. 



No comments:

Post a Comment