Sunday, November 6, 2016

31 October-6 November 2016

We met these senior couples (on left) at the temple who were there to attend the sealing of the African couple on the right.  They thought it was supposed to be at 9:30 am but ended up being at 2:30 pm.  They traveled many hours (up to 12-14) to attend.
Loel and I brought all the missionaries to the temple both days this week on our own as the Brubakers were at a mission presidents' conference for 3 days.  It all went well, as did things at the MTC while they were gone.  No crises, except one elder had to get stitches for a cut above his eyelid playing basketball.  We had him taken to Dr. Anderson to do it and he sent home a kit for removing the stitches.  Loel said he'd do it - I'm not up for that!

I did some baptisms for some missionaries' family members this week (since the font will be closed for two weeks) and met this teenage girl in the dressing room.  She and her friend just stood right by me while I did my hair and make-up and stared at me - just a few feet away.  I tried to pretend not to notice.  Maybe they've never seen people putting on make-up.  She asked if she could be my friend and I said, "Sure."  Loel's been working long hours with the missionaries helping them get names ready for the temple next week.  This week many of them took out their own endowments.

We went to two craft fairs on Saturday.  This one
was at a school for handicapped kids and they had
made all the crafts.  They were so cute as they sang
and danced and had a fashion show for us.  

The two men in the green shirts alongside the drummer,
are some of the students. The drummer was really good
and the two men kept time on the bells they're holding.
They did a great job.

Dancing for us.

These are cultural dances that we don't have a
clue what they are about.

Modeling their clothes in the fashion show.  The
students make the clothes. and all the crafts.

They even had a Kente weaving demonstration.
They said the autistic students really like the weaving
because of the structure and repetition.

They were selling these cute patchwork
quilts behind me and these darling
patchwork balls so we bought some
along with the basket.   The students
receive a portion of the proceeds from
the crafts sold.

The first craft fair was the monthly one
we love in Accra, which is really nice.  It's
so fun to see lots of other senior couples
there at these fairs, and to visit with them
and to get ideas on things to buy here.


My newest blouse I had made - I love
the eyelet here.

One day Elder and Sister Peine came to
the MTC and we all went to KFC for
lunch - who knew that I would grow to
love KFC!  In Accra, we went out to
lunch with the Stutz, and had a
wonderful visit - we will miss them
as they help so much with family
history - they go home next month.

2 comments:

  1. That was sooooo funny about the girl(s) staring at you putting on makeup and asking if she could be your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to see programs like the craft fair for the disabled. I think it is so important for individuals to see that they have a place in this world and that they can create or do meaningful things. I'm glad you got to go and support them. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete